Wednesday, June 30, 2010

June 30

It's hard to believe in 10 days I'll be attempting the 39.3 mile weekend. Not attempting-completing with flying colors. This has taken such large chunks of time. Time seems to be the thing that has been a major challenge. As you know, I am a very popular person. In fact, it has gotten so bad that I had to get bodyguards for the paparazzi because they are getting mobbed.

Well, that may be stretching it. Just a bit.

I do like to have a busy schedule. Freud would say I fear death, or something disturbing about my father. My idea is that I like to keep busy because I was so shy as a kid and feel like I missed out on a lot of potential friend time. There's no hidden desperate quality to my schedule (as some psychoanalysts may be quick to conclude). It's born out of a true desire to enjoy life to it's fullest. For those who feel like it takes forever to find time with me-I'm worth the wait. For those who think this sounds rather narcissistic, I agree. However, I've wandered away from my point.

My point is this-time. Last weekend my best friend, someone who has been in my life since we were both 14, was married. It was a beautiful ceremony. Intimate and thoughtful, just like Kacey and Rich. I had the honor of standing up with the bride, so my weekend consisted of spending time with the whole family and helping Kacey's mom breathe. The weekend was busy, and I completed zero walks on Saturday and Sunday. Luckily, Monday was my last day of work before summer. I was able to get home at a reasonable hour, and clock 10 miles in about 3 hours. My right knee has been sore since the kneecap popped out of joint a few weeks ago, so each time I walk, I ice it immediately afterwards. The 10 miles were easy-I took the same route as the last 10 mile day, only this time reversed. This lead to more interesting scenery at the end of the walk, and a greater sense of accomplishment. The biggest change was going from mostly downhill to mostly uphill.

The 5 miles on Tuesday (first day of summer break!) were around Lake Merritt with Edna. It was warm, I was sleepy, and we got the walk done. Company makes a big difference in these walks-I would have given up after the first lap, but had to make it seem like I wanted to do the full 5 miles for Edna's sake. We'll stick with that story for a while.

Now I taper. Tomorrow is 3 miles-that will take less then an hour. This weekend is 5 and 3-an easy accomplishment when I'll be in Tahoe with friends who like to hike.

And now-the single digit countdown begins. (Dum dum dummmm)

No comments:

Post a Comment